"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Perspectives

Even though I am a certified morning person, I was less than enthusiastic about getting up at 4:45 today.

I was even less enthusiastic about getting dressed and meeting Bill for a short 3 mile maintenance run. I was tired and my pillow was really comfortable. I was inclined to be lazy and reach into my bag of lame excuses for any reason I could find not to get up and go.

“The president called seeking my counsel.”
“My alarm clock exploded.”
“My dog ate my shoes, socks, shirt, shorts and the cat.”
“Martial law was imposed in my neighborhood.”
“Aliens landed on my deck.”

I’ve amassed an impressive collection you know.

But I didn’t. Instead I got up and met my friend. And when I came home, I read the following:

“The question is how many days do you have left to ride your bike?"

This comes from a post by Fe-Lady (3 Sports) and is attributed to a guy named Ralph who owns a bike store she frequents. When I read this, it occurred to me how profoundly versatile a question this is.

"The question is how many days do you have left to (fill in the blank)?"

Ride your bike
Run a race
Hug your kids
Kiss your spouse
Play
Say “I love you”
Help someone
Watch a sun rise / set
Make a difference
Write a book
Give your time
Travel
Taste adventure
Really live

The answer is, we simply do not know.

Thanks for readjusting my perspective Ralph.

“And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln

No comments: