"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Good Stuff

Bill and I met this morning for the 3 mile loop along the Roanoke River. It’s the first time we’ve run together in a while and it was great to relive what was such a regular event while training for the Virginia Beach ½ Marathon.

As we plodded along in the pre-dawn darkness, I began to contemplate this whole blogging experience. Until very recently, I’d never done this and quite frankly wasn’t sure what, if anything to expect.

It’s not the writing per se for that’s not new to me. I am the editor of our local running club newsletter as well as another for a wine dinner group of which I am a member but writing (nearly) everyday, in an environment where what I choose to espouse is available to any and all who stumble across it, is definitely a different gig.

When I began this exercise, two benefits were readily apparent. First, writing has always been and continues to be a therapeutic activity for me. It is a conduit through which I am often able to flush out that which if left unchecked, would clutter my mind like an over flowing clothes hamper clutters the closet. And second, the very act in and of itself is a tremendous mental exercise.

One additional benefit which I did not realize would be forthcoming (more than likely due to my complete and total ignorance of blogging) is the ability to connect with others who share the same passion.

“Duh ….,” you say. “That’s what it’s all about!”

Yes … now I know and as a result, I find myself reading the blogs of others as they share their running experiences and pursue their personal goals. Whether they are training for their first 5K, their first marathon or triathlon, to “tag along” in this fashion is as inspiring as it is a privilege. It reaffirms the value of being a part of something significantly larger than one’s self.

And there are countless numbers of us out there.

Like Lisa (Journey of a Lifetime), who in 18 days will run the Chicago Marathon; her first, but still takes time to offer me words of encouragement regarding my own first marathon aspirations.

Or Fe-Lady (3 Sports), who like myself is as she puts it, an “over 50” athlete. Her amazing accomplishments serve to remind us that "if you don't use it, you lose it” and that you’re not "old" until regrets take the place of your dreams.

Good stuff, this blogging.

“Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into realities.” - Anonymous

No comments: