"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Explore Your Limits

Today I ran my first trail run - the Virginia Explore Park's Explore Your Limits 10K trail run.

It was challenging. Dodging roots and rock, navigating mud, ascending and descending hills through the woods is a brand new experience for this pavement runner.

And I liked it.

I think I'll do some more of this trail running.

And what a beautiful place to enjoy this experience. The Explore Park is an 1,100-acre facility on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Roanoke VA, which was created by the General Assembly in 1986 as part of a public-private partnership. The Park encompasses an outdoor living history museum, outdoor recreation venues, and natural areas along with miles of trails for runners, hikers and moutain bikers alike.

In addition, Explore Park’s Historic Areas feature a unique blend of early western Virginia eras and cultures. Here you'll find the Totero Village, an authentic glimpse into the life of the Native Americans in this region in the 17th century.

There is also the Frontier Fort, a fortified homestead common to Virginia’s western frontier in the 18th century and from the 19th Century, a farm and farm animals, one-room school, blacksmith shop, working grist mill and Virginia’s most expansive river culture interpretive site.

Explore Park is a living museum dedicated to preserving the early American history which is native to the Blue Ridge. From the recreated structures to the period clad presenters, you'll feel as though you've taken a step back in time - and you'll love it.

If you haven't yet done so, plan to visit soon. Oh and by the way, This guy is holding the starting gun from today's race.

How cool is that?








1 comment:

Faithful Soles said...

Nice job on the first trail run. I'm going to be doing my first trail run later this year as part of my first 50 miler (a 12.5 mile loop you do 4 times), and I'll be going out to practice on the course a few times before the race.

I wanted to thank you again for linking to our Blog Database on the main Faithful Soles web site. We now have bloggers from 37 states in the USA and 20 other countries. I hope your training and running continues to go well.