"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Friday, March 30, 2007

More Than A Spark

When I got home from my run last night, I discovered the current issue of Runner’s World had arrived in the mail. And while I’m not a die hard magazine reader, I do enjoy perusing this publication. So last night as I sat at the kitchen table, I opened it up and discovered an inspirational article about an amazing person – Amy Winters.

A life long athlete, Amy ran the Boston Marathon in 1992 for a personal-best time of 3 hours, 16 minutes. Then in 1994 while riding a motorcycle, a car pulled out in front of her. The resulting accident crushed her left foot and over the next three years, she endured more than 25 surgeries. Eventually her left leg was amputated just below the knee.

"I was told in 1994 I wouldn't run again. That lit a spark in me.”

In 2006, she ran the Cleveland Marathon in 3:26.19 and placed 20th overall among 3,399 female finishers. Her time in Cleveland was a world record for female amputees.

Very impressive especially when you read her philosophy on attitude. Amy states matter of factly that her leg is gone and while there is nothing she can do about it, she can control how she deals with it.

I typically like to end a post with a quote and I don’t think I could have found a better one to finish this entry than what follows.

“I am not only trying to do this to prove something to myself, but also to show all people -- able-bodied and disabled -- that there are no limits to what one can do if you put your mind to it. The only limits that we have are the ones we set for ourselves.” – Amy Winters

1 comment:

Fe-lady said...

Cool story! I keep a picture of a woman running on the beach on my fridge...she's a double amputee. Ironically, her name is Amy also..but I can't remember her last name at the moment. When I am having an "I can't today" moment, she inspires for sure!
Thanks for sharing her story!