"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Thursday, January 18, 2007

A User's Lament

Hello,

My name is Tim and I am a crossword & sudoku puzzle addict.

Like a lot of people, it began innocently with my first crossword. I thought it was nothing more than harmless experimentation. That was over 30 years ago. Since then my addiction has grown to include sudoku as well.

This insidious addiction has cost me dearly. I can't begin to tell you all the times I've neglected my responsibilities in order to work puzzles. Or the financial costs I've incurred replacing ink cartridges as a result of downloading and printing countless puzzles day after day after day.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I've even used my wife's printer without her permission.

As a result of my insatiable desire, I was like a kid at Christmas last Sunday when our local paper ran an Extra Puzzler section. Seizing my "user's kit", i.e. ink pen and lap desk, I got comfortable in my favorite chair and entered into my private world of puzzle induced euphoria.

Coming down from Sunday's high was unacceptable and as always, the ensuing week was spent on a puzzle binge; all this in anticipation of my next BIG fix, this weeks' Extra Puzzler.

But when I tore open my Sunday edition this week, my hands shaking with anticipation, I discovered the much desired extra puzzler was not there. Instead, In it's place was the regular, single puzzle Extra Section, looking up and mocking as if it knew of my disappointment.

Why have they teased me so.....

No comments: