"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Today Adversity Lost

Often, perceived adversity seems excruciatingly difficult, completely uncomfortable, wholly undesirable and sometimes insurmountable. It can present the most logical and rational arguments for forgoing the task at hand and as a result, is frequently successful in dissuading us from our intended mission.

But sometimes we choose to buck up to adversity and in doing so, always emerge the victor (regardless of the outcome).

That was me this morning.

Stepping out into the pre-dawn darkness, I considered the temperature. After all, 22ยบ is by anyone’s definition, damn cold.

“Go back inside you fool,” screamed adversity.

But I didn’t listen.

Instead I waited a moment while Garmin found her satellites and then off we went. And in a very short time, I found that thanks to my new warm suit Santa picked up at Fleet Feet, I was perfectly toasty on my run this morning.

It’s good to win.

“Adversity has its compensation; that in falling and in failing, we rise.” – Mark Helprin

No comments: