"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Monday, September 25, 2006

Piggy Back

I've discovered a new cause of lower back muscle strain: my 3 1/2 year old grand daughter, Lei Lei!

Fortunately, a couple of well placed Therma-Guards and a few Advil throughout the day Sunday, found me, for the most part devoid of soreness by this morning.

And so after a cup of coffee and a cursory glance at the newspaper, I headed out for mileage unknown.

The morning was overcast and comfortably cool and at 3 miles, I decided on 5.

It was a familiar route; one I've run many times. There is a point where you may choose to turn around, making it an out and back or turn right and turn it into a 6 mile loop. I turned right.

It felt really good to run after a three day hiatus. My head went to that magic place. That place where time ceases to be, where the surroundings fade and the stride is effortless. That place where all is right with the world as mind, body and soul flow seamlessly in sync. Man if you could only bottle that stuff!

It's interesting how the body becomes accustomed to and in fact, often demands the regularities of routine, even if the results are sometimes painful. Whether they be happily piggy backing one's grandchild all over the house or finding temporary nirvana in the middle of one's stride, there are some things in life that are just plain worth it.

"No Pain, no gain." - Athletic Proverb

No comments: