"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hidden Challenges

As I ran in the darkness before dawn this morning, one thought kept reoccurring to me:

58 Days and Counting.

That’s how long before I run my next half marathon. I say ‘my next’ as if I do this often but the truth is this will only be my second one. My first was the Virginia Beach Rock and Roll ½ Marathon this past Labor Day weekend and while I found it to be an incredible experience, I also found the straightness and flatness of the course to be a huge mental challenge.

My next one is here in Roanoke. This area is such that for the most part, one can’t go much farther than ¼ mile without having to make turns, climb hills or descend inclines. While often presenting a greater degree of physical difficulty, I find this constant state of flux to be of more interest and more clearly definable.

My theory, which I will put to the test in 58 days, is that I will do better here in my familiar hilly surroundings than I did in the flatlands.

I will let you know how that works out.

The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank. ~George Sheehan

No comments: