"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Saturday, September 23, 2006

I Snoozed

I did something this morning I almost never do - I overslept.

And not just a little either. I have no idea why but when my alarm went off at 4:45, I hit the snooze as I always do thereby allowing me 8 minutes before getting up, getting dressed and getting out there.

However this morning when I hit the snooze - I snoozed.

When my eyes finally opened, it was light which was a clear indication to me that my morning run was not to be. Glancing at the clock I saw it was a quarter till 8, the time I'm supposed to be at work and so I got up, went downstairs and poured myself a cup of what was now mildly tepid coffee.

After a quick shower and breakfast for the dogs, I left for work. On my way, I saw a runner making his way up Jefferson Street towards Community Hospital and as I sat at the light and watched him climb the long steady grade, I thought about the many times I have run the same route. It's not an overly difficult run but it isn't all that easy either, particularly if you hit it 5 miles into a 10 or 12 mile run so as I waited for the light to change, I found myself mentally cheering this kindred spirit onward in his conquest and lamenting the fact that I was unable to get out there with him this morning.

"The pride you gain is worth the pain." - Dennis Ogilvie

No comments: