"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Saturday, September 16, 2006

First Light of Day

As the first hints of pink and orange streaked across the dark sky of the new day, I crested a knoll on Campbell Ave and took in the city’s adolescent, yet ambitious skyline. The horizontal rays of the slowly ascending orange sun danced and played, reflecting off the Wachovia Tower’s tinted glass.

I was about 5 miles into a 12 mile run when I greeted the first light of day. It was glorious; inspiring; motivating and part of me wanted to stop and freeze the moment so I could relish it a bit longer. But time does not allow itself to be controlled and so I continued onward, burning the image I’d just seen into my mind’s eye.

It’s somewhat strange yet wonderfully interesting how the mind fixates on something and refuses to let go; particularly that which it finds beautiful, intriguing and unattainable. It acts as an internal recorder of sorts; a mental TIVO replaying over and over the various takes, often allowing for a glimpse at the deleted scenes which might have been but were not.

The remainder of the run was automatic. My mind’s presence was no longer required, so as I traversed the remaining 7 miles, I remained in front of the screen, watching, not wanting to leave and not wanting it to end.

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean

No comments: