"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Waxing Nostalgic


This is what its like when you're at sea and God decides to kick it up a notch!

Awesome and oh so humbling.

The realization of how insignificant you really are in the grander scheme of things becomes crystal clear when riding out a storm at sea. At times it seemed like an eternity of constant, violent motion and generally would last for days. During these times, even those with established 'sea legs' weren't always able to avoid the periodic bashing into a bulkhead as a result of one or more rogue waves.

And when the storm finally ended, the utter calmness stood in such contrast as to be equally impressive.

All this reconnecting with old shipmates is producing a decided penchant for nostalgia.

I suppose its to be expected.

Four miles today and lots of memories.

(Thanks to shipmates Steve Church, John July and Larry Hardeman for the photos.)



"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back." - U.S. Coast Guard Credo

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am terrified of being out at sea. It's my little secret....seeing those pictures makes me so nervous! Thanks for sharing!