"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Dan's The Man

Apparently as I slept last night, my body somehow absorbed a leaden like substance. For when I awoke and set out on my run this morning, it was as if I was transporting 50 lbs of extra weight. My legs were heavy and instead of running, I plodded along and finally finished a measly 4 miles.

Hopefully I've gotten this out of my system because next Saturday is the Blacksburg Classic and I surely do not wish to be plodding along for 10 miles!

At any rate after my run (?), I headed down to Shrine Hill Park were our running club, the Star City Striders joined forces with the Greater Raleigh Court Civic League (GRCCL), the Pathfinders for Greenways, Roanoke Parks and Recreation and others in order to lend a helping hand to spread mulch and clear debris for the DAN WRIGHT GREENWAY TRAILHEAD.

Thanks to the GRCCL and the City of Roanoke, the trailhead will be formally named in Dan’s honor on March 3, 2007.

A long time Strider and runner, Dan's involvement with the local running community has been extensive. Over the years he has worked tirelessly for the good of the entire community. And because of the many battles he fought on behalf of the Roanoke Valley greenway project, this honor seems all the more fitting.

Having been diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig ’s disease, Dan now faces an even larger battle. But through it all, he continues to inspire with his ever present smile and his kind laughter.

Thanks for everything Dan.

“It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.” - Niccolo Machiavelli

No comments: