"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Old Friends Are Never Forgotten

Even though the internet is full of a lot of undesirable things, it’s the good things which make it so incredibly awesome. Because of the net, I recently located and reconnected with an old service buddy of mine I haven’t been touch with for nearly 20 years.

Larry, aka Six Pack along with our friend Sid, were as thick as thieves when we served aboard the USCGC Midgett back in the mid 70’s. And even though Sid and I stayed in touch over the years, we lost touch with Six. We’re planning a ship’s reunion in October and so I made it my mission to find him. And with the help of Google, last Thursday I opened my email only to discover that I had succeeded.

Reconnecting with old friends is amazing. In many ways, the passage of time only serves to strengthen the bonds which were formed so many years ago. Old memories of our times together sailing the Alaskan seas came flooding back and brought us a lot laughter.

So here’s to you Six.

It’s good to have you back my friend.

“True friends are the ones who never leave your heart, even if they leave your life for awhile. Even after years apart, you pick up with them right where you left off.” - Anon

No comments: