"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Button It Up

Next Wednesday morning, it’s back to the Doctor with new x-rays in tow. As it stands right now, I’m optimistic these photos will reveal the newly implanted metal in my upper spine to be securely in place and successfully promoting the desired fusion necessary to prevent me from becoming a white version of Gumby.

I’m equally optimistic he will free me from the wretched collar which has tormented me so these past six weeks and in so doing, bid me to go forth and once again don my Sauconys. In which case I will dutifully obey and gladly begin the arduous process of shedding the 15 plus pounds which have literally crept up on me during this unwelcome sedentary period.

It’s disappointingly interesting how quickly one gains weight when their activity level drops to nothing. It’s as if overnight I’ve gone from having to cinch my belt all the way to the last possible hole to having random buttons launch from my waist like deadly projectiles at 600 psi. Even my socks feel tight.

So as you might imagine, I’m more than ready to get back to an active lifestyle. But while I’m anxious to do so, I am also trying to remain mindful of the pitfalls of doing too much too soon. So as I begin to re-acclimate myself to physical activity, please take note of my mileage updates. And if you feel I’m too aggressive, feel free to verbally smack me.

In the meantime, be wary of rocket propelled buttons. They’ve been known to put an eye out.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Be sure to ease back into action. Doctors have a way of saying one thing and we runners hearing it as quite another. Glad to hear the end of the sedentary period may be drawing near.