"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Monday, December 18, 2006

It Is What It Is

Today marks yet another unseasonably warm day for the middle of December. It is projected to reach nearly 70 degrees! And while I’m not complaining, I do find it disturbingly odd … in a Twilight Zone-ish sort of way.

Perhaps this foreboding sense of gathering gloom is because I happened upon War of the Worlds on HBO last night. This of course is Stephen Spielberg’s adaptation of the H.G. Wells classic story of the same name. This eerily realistic tale of alien invasion was made all the more frightening as its starring role was played by Tom Cruise, whose bizarre behavior in recent months has led many to conclude that he is in fact, an alien himself.

Nevertheless, the weather is what it is. Regardless of how good, bad or bizarre, it brings what Mother Nature deems appropriate. And if she elects to offset today’s mildness with tomorrow’s bitterness, then so be it.

I’ll still be out there, dressed appropriately and keeping a sharp eye peeled for tentacle laden pods and sofa hopping Tom Cruises.

Five miles today.

“There will be a rain dance Friday night, weather permitting” – George Carlin

No comments: