"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Monday, December 11, 2006

A Father's Pride

I returned from Florida Saturday night and left again Sunday morning for Boone North Carolina. This one day trip was very special as I made this journey in order to attend my son’s college graduation from Appalachian State University.

Ben will be 26 years old in March and was therefore one of the oldest members of his graduating class but unlike many who finish college at an older age, his completion was not due to taking five or six years to complete a four year degree.

He spent the first four years after high school serving in the United States Marine Corp and in doing so, grew up. In the process, he developed the self discipline and determination required to see him through the collegiate phase of his life. Attending full time, including summers, Ben earned his degree in three years and I am immensely proud of him and his achievement.

Many people helped him along the way; my wife and I, his mom and her husband, other family memebers and Garrett, the special woman in his life.

But he deserves the real credit because he set his sights on his goal and never lost sight of it.

To celebrate, I ran 6 miles this morning.

Congratulations son!

Love you,

Dad

“The education of the will is the object of our existence.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: