"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Emotional Logic

Lest there be any misunderstandings as to the origins of this post, it is in reference to the angst I was experiencing over a job I hated and the helplessness of feeling I had no alternatives.

This morning was my first run since Thanksgiving Day.

It was a 6 miler.

It was a thinker.

Running through my mind as my body ran through my route was the conundrum that inevitably arises whenever a situation or circumstance pits emotion against logic and demands a decision.

The ensuing battle between these two diametrically opposed forces play out a variety of scenarios each designed to tip the scales in favor of their individual desired outcome. Rivaling the most skilled litigator, both are thorough, persistent, creative and convincing in their quest for victory.

But ultimately, there is no clear winner or clear loser when these two traits clash as elements of both gain and loss, by default exist. For when a choice is ultimately made, both sides of the same coin become plainly obvious.

If logic wins, a bitterly painful emotional loss is apt to follow. Likewise, giving in to one's emotional desires and wants will likely render it's own unpleasant consequences. Neither is good and in either case, the unknown remains a constant, always gnawing away, always playing the “what if” game...

... always remaining a mystery.

“I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: