"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Thursday, November 23, 2006

The DrumStick Dash

Happy Thanksgiving!

And what better way to start this holiday which is best known for family, food and football, than to go for a run?

So that’s what I did.

Only unlike the previous two years when Bill and I began this tradition, this year I ran a 5k race, the Drumstick Dash.

This was the first year for this event and judging from the turnout, will likely not be the last. As of yesterday afternoon, over 400 runners were registered to participate and according to an article in our local paper, 1000 runners and walkers were expected by the start of the run. By my estimation, it appeared as if at least that many people turned out.

Unlike some of our local runs, this one was held as a benefit to raise money for our local Rescue Mission. Last year, they provided 298,936 hot, nutritious meals to hungry families (both homeless families in Rescue Mission Shelters and families with a home but no way to put food on their tables). The goal for this event was to raise $50,000 to help feed hungry families at The Rescue Mission in 2007.

I truly hope they exceeded this goal for while their tag line, Move your feet so others can eat, is certainly applicable throughout the year, it is especially meaningful today. For as we sit at our tables, surrounded by those we love and enjoy the bountiful blessings of the season, it’s important to remember those who are less fortunate.

The Rescue Mission does just that … every day … 365 days a year.

Thank God for them.

“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.” – Matthew 25: 35-36

No comments: